Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Finally....Enjoying some time at the lake



After getting word from the Montana Boat Center that the boat was finally fixed, we quickly got the camper ready and headed for Helena. I couldn't believe it was already mid-July and this was our first time spending the weekend at Canyon Ferry. After getting a late start, we decided to get a campsite first and then head back to Helena to get the boat. We got the only site left in Hellgate Campground. It was far from the water, which was going to be an issue when we picked up the boat.

On our way back to Helena, our friends called and said there were spots open in Goose Bay. We told them to save us a spot while we went to Helena for the boat. After picking up the boat and heading back to Canyon Ferry for the second time in the day with 3 energized boys in the backseat wondering "Are we there, yet?", our good luck streak came back to haunt us again. In our excitement of having a fixed boat, we gassed up the boat, but my husband forgot to put gas in the pickup. By the time he noticed, we were too close and decided to chance it remembering that we did have a little gas in the can for the generators.

It was just then when we noticed smoke billowing up from the lake area. It was obvious that a fire had started and with the wind on Friday, the fire was moving rapidly. Fire crews and engines tried to get by the Los Angeles-like afternoon traffic of trucks, campers, and boats heading to the lake. As we inched closer, I feared the fire would prevent us from crossing the dam to get to the camper. "Why us?" kept running through my head as I thought about all the trouble we have had to try to enjoy some relaxing time at the lake.

After about an hour of slow moving, we finally reached our camper and moved it to the new campsite at Goose Bay. The mosquitoes were so thick you couldn't stay out long so we set up camp and went to bed early. (P.S. at this point, the camper started to act up and we had no hot water or fridge)

Brandon got up early and headed back to the Marina to get some gas in the pickup only to realize that because of the fire, there was no power at the Marina, and he would have to take his third trip to East Helena for gas. Finally he returned and we decided to make the best of the day. With lawn chairs and a cooler of snacks, we headed out to the water for the first time, still worried that our boat might not be entirely fixed. Doubtful, we loaded up and hit the water.

After a full 10 hours on the water, we finally got what we wanted ~ a great day on the water with family and friends. The boat ran wonderfully and we all had a great time wake boarding and wake surfing. At this point, it didn't matter what trouble we went through to get to enjoy the day.

7 comments:

  1. Kacey,

    Very excited to hear that you were able to get out on the lake!!! Wake surfing is an absolute blast... we are heading up to Priest Lake in two weeks and we are going to be doing some wake surfing. My buddy just ordered one and we are really looking forward to it. Hope you can continue to enjoy the good weather and a fully functioning boat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kacey,

    I totally enjoyed your story of your weekend adventure. I am thrilled to hear the boat seems to be all fixed! There is still plenty of summer left for you and your family to enjoy the boat. Great pictures! I am impressed with the quality and am curious, what did you take them with and did you do anything to them before loading them onto the blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeannie~
    I just used my digital camera and uploaded to the blog...it was very simple. I had trouble with the layout though, as I wanted them to post on the bottom...not sure how to do that yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kacey,
    I think the pictures look great where they are. We live in a very visual world; how many times do we stop to read something because a picture or graphic caught our attention. For that reason I would suggest posting pictures near the top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kacey~ Awesome story.... I am so glad you finally got out on the boat and enjoyed some great weather and wake boarding. Great pictures. I have been trying to upload a video and not succeeding. I will try again tomorrow.. I also put pictures on my blog but I did not take close enough pictures to see the details. I think I will re-do.. Enjoy the boat this weekend. ~Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forgot to add, love the pictures of Will!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kacey,

    Each piece of the story made me so bummed out for you guys but I could tell by the awesome pictures that eventually things would work out ok! You guys still have plenty of weekends left to enjoy your "new" boat!

    ReplyDelete